Skip to main content

Alcoholic chat

alcohol for alcoholism chat
photo by Andrew Ebrahim

I am one of the marginal people. I am unconventional. That qualifies me for alcoholic chat because marginal people can sometimes end up with alcoholics.

If one questions society, or does not fit cleanly into society one is marginalized. It doesn't mean we are bad, quite the opposite. People who don't "play the game" and conform are often very good people. But the mass of people are too frightened to be unconventional even if they want to be. Fear drives a lot of what we do.

After a while one realizes that it will be almost impossible to find a person enlightened enough to accept ones minor idiosyncrasies and accepts the bottom rung of the ladder and makes do.

I have said that Jane is a binge drinker, meaning that she is sober for say 2 to 3 weeks and then binges for about 5-9 days and then restarts the cycle. The thing is it isn't that simple. In fact the more I know her (and it takes a lifetime to know her because she is so bl**dy secrative) the more I am certain she is in fact a simple alcoholic who wants to drink more or less all of the time but barely manages to drink a little less. The truth is she drinks a lot in between the binges but it is hard to tell sometimes as she hides it so well.

I have known her for 9-10 years and never seen her drink alcohol yet she can drink 2 bottles of Vodka in a day with ease. I should know because she has just gone through a binge (was this a binge or just drinking more than normal?) and when she binges I buy the Vodka because if she buys it she exposes herself to being mugged. She looks awful when she binges. She loses weight and is weak and emaciated. She has bruises and a black eye. Her hair is appalling, greasy and matted. She shuffles forward and speaks slowly. She is not fit to be out on the street and has been mugged in the past.

She asks for booze. If I refuse she'll shuffle out into the street and face danger. I have to buy for her. I bought two bottles on one shopping trip hoping she would drink one per day. She drank both in one day. Eventually I had to put my foot down as I have a responsibility to avoid negligence. She is now ending her binge I think. I advised 2 valium and one anti-sickness pill to avoid hospital. She took my advice and is in great discomfort but will probably get over the latest binge until the next one.

I am thinking of changing the relationship to one of a paid carer. That might create a better balance in the relationship. And I would care better for her and be less angry as I would be paid to accept whatever came at me. Could and would she pay though?

Update: Jane is nicely zonked out and I am hopeful of a reasonable nights sleep as sometimes she can be undergoing the after effects of a binge at night which can be a kind of hell. It usually ends up with an ambulance coming around at 2 in the morning. I'll keep my finger crossed as I don't want the chaos of Jane coming off a binge during the night ahead.

She just, this minute, called out my name. When I answer she goes silent. This is always the case. Sometimes she doesn't know why she called out. Sometimes she wants something.

Alcoholic chat to alcoholic chat of Feb 2008

Comments

  1. I wondered why you are marginalised - my father was an alcoholic my transsexual sister (as she is now) is also an alcoholic and was when she was a male. She is also a prostitute. We all know, we all still love and totally accept her (none of us would care if she changed into pink hippo as long as she was happy and safe)- the only thing we don't love is her relationship with the bottle.
    Is what is waiting out in the world for you really worse than the 'safety' of your life with 'Jane.'For all the ignorant people you come across there will always be another who is not. Not all people are sheep. Maybe you cannot save this person- but you sure as hell can save yourself and put all those energies into the cats you can rescue. I rescue animals myself and as I'm sure you know yourself the rewards are boundless.
    Once, in a rare moment of sobriety my father once said to me that if someone is drowning but trying hard to get out of the water that engulfs them - you should lean over and fight with all your might to help pull them out - but conversely if they make no real effort to save themselves, when you extend your hand they will pull you deep into the depths too and you will drown together. Only you know the truth. Best wishes & keep on with the cats

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.
    By the way , I must add - I am in no way implying that your feeling of marginalisation is at all the same as my sisters situation - purely drawing a comparison example to highlight my point

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear the experiences of both alcoholics and the victims of alcoholics, please.

Popular posts from this blog

Alcoholism Signs For Family

If a person regularly falls asleep just after breakfast she is possibly an alcoholic. This is because she has had more than a stiff drink early in the morning. Although, alcoholism signs for the family are hard to spot in my experience. What is my experience? It's being the partner and now (2008) a "live in partner" of an alcoholic for about 9 years. Update: I am still her partner but no longer living with her in 2024 which is 16 years after this page was first written! The first section of this article is by me based on experience. The second part is by Bing's Co-pilot after researching the internet. At the end of the article are some pointers as to whether the person in question is an alcoholic. When I first met Jane I didn't know that she was an alcoholic. At that moment in time I was an innocent to the world of alcoholism. It took me about 3 months to realize that she was an alcoholic. What lead me to this revelation? When I didn't know she was an alcohol

Alcoholism and Death

photo copyright crowolf published under a creative commons license kindly granted. These 2 ignominiously go together - Alcoholism and Death . Just after Jane's mini-binge (believe me it was a very minor binge by her standards) of about 20 hours she felt, as usual, suicidal. Jane always feels huge remorse and regret after a binge. She feels bad about letting herself down and bad about messing me around (although it wasn't that bad to be honest - it did though mess up what could have been some time together, which we are lacking at the moment due to work). Jane really does genuinely feel suicidal after a binge. But I must say I don't think she'll ever do it. She hasn't got the courage - I know that sounds horrendously cruel etc etc but this blog is about the plain truth unvarnished. It takes courage to kill yourself and a lots of despair. Jane has the one but not the other. Anyway to get more positive. We had a little talk and I in my usual style, mentioned

Alcoholism is a Disease

1904 Advertisement I have always wondered if alcoholism is a disease . Is this just some sort of idea someone dreamed up years ago as a method to make a buck. You know it could have been that way. People think diseases are either curable or that the symptoms can be controlled to an extent where the person can live pretty normally. The signal sent to alcoholics by the idea that alcoholism is a disease is, "I can be cured by a pill" or "there is hope". And they go off and search for a cure to this mysterious disease...... It may be a disease, though. What is the definition of "disease"? It is an abnormal condition that impairs bodily functions with accompanying symptoms (after Wikipedia). Or here is another definition: An alteration of the state of the body or parts of it interrupting normal function (mine after ThinkExist.com). These are broad definitions. We usually think of diseases as say a virus that infects us and causes illness; the common cold is t